If you are in your first trimester of pregnancy then you probably have experienced pregnancy headaches and you must have noted how unpleasant they are. Below are some quick tips for getting rid of headaches when you are expecting a baby:
- Drink plenty of water: Most of the times, pregnant women neglect to drink plenty of water. Water is what you require most during this period. Ask your obstetrician how much water you should take every day. You need about 8 to 12 ounces day of water. The headache could be an indicator of dehydration and drinking some could get rid of that headache. Lack of water may cause constipation, premature labor, fatigue and even a miscarriage.
- Maintain your blood sugar levels: Many times, pregnancy headaches may be experienced at a particular time every day. This could be in the afternoon, for example, or in the middle of the day. A drop in the blood sugar levels could cause these types of headaches. To get rid of these types of headaches, you may need to eat small portions of food throughout the day to make sure that your blood sugar is maintained at an optimum level
- Create a safe haven: While pregnant, one becomes sensitive to noises, odors and more. You will be irritated easily. This irritability may cause pregnancy headaches due to the tension experienced. Getting rid of these headaches may be as simple as creating a comfort niche for yourself where you can go for calm when you feel irritated. This place can even relieve you of that headache.
- Get plenty of fresh air: It is paramount to relax while pregnant, one way on doing this is by taking walks, changing you routine or do something new. The goal is to a lot of oxygen to your brain, which will ensure you do away with that headache.
- Therapy: You may want to get rid of that headache through various therapies. You can choose the best option from the list below:
- Regular massage – The regular massage will help to improve blood circulation throughout your body and ease tension. This will in turn relieve you of that headache.
- Aromatherapy – This type of therapy utilizes essentials oils to bring you relief. The oils can be applied directly to your forehead or can be inhaled to ease the tension. The common essential oils used are lavender and peppermint. Pregnant women in their first trimester are not allowed to inhale more than two drops of essential oils.iit is always good to check with your physician first before opting for this therapy.
- Reflexology – This therapy involves massaging the feet and particularly the toes. The assumption is the big toe corresponds with the part of the head for the side of that particular foot and massaging it will give relief to that side of the head.
- Osteopathy – This type of therapy involves giving attention to bones, ligaments and connective tissue, that are associated with the part of the body that gives you pain. This is an extremely useful therapy especially for those in the first trimester. This is because often times, their headache may be caused by wrong posture or wrong size bra which has a direct correlation to their ligaments and muscles
- Trigger therapy – This practice involves applying pressure to a particular part of the body to relieve pain. Caution should be done with this type of therapy and only look for one who specializes with pregnant women. This is because pressure applied to the wrong body part may cause one to go into premature labor by causing uterine contractions.
- Meditation – The practice of deep meditations like Yoga or chakra, have been known to relieve pregnancy headaches. Not all poses though are suitable for pregnant women so make sure your yoga instructor is familiar with one that fits you.
- Medication: Although not recommended to the extreme, you may want to talk to you physician to recommend a medication that is safe for you and your baby during this period. Your physician may recommend intake of magnesium supplements. Whatever you do, do not get drugs from the pharmacy without a prescription.
- It has been said that during pregnancy, one should eat foods that have various colors. The idea behind this is to get you to eat as healthy as possible. Eating mood-boosting foods in particular, may help you get rid of the pregnancy headaches. Some headaches are because of hormone changes that occur during this period. The hormone changes cause you to be moody and you could have a headache as a result. Eating mood-boosting foods gets rid of your headaches instantly.
- Simple home techniques To get instantaneous result from pregnancy headaches, home techniques like taking a cold shower while rubbing your head, use of a towel for hot or cold press that help you relax muscle and numb pain nerves are welcome techniques.
- There are various exercises for pregnant women. These exercises will help improve your blood circulation. Ensuring sufficient amounts of oxygen are directed to the brain. This will take your mind off the headache and help you get rid of the pain before you know it.
- Find the source of the trigger and avoid it. Lastly, try to avoid or distance yourself with what triggers your pregnancy headaches. If your headache starts when you are around people who smoke, or sight of smell of certain foods, you might just get rid of that pain if you walk away or distance yourself from it.
Continue reading The difference between Pregnancy Headaches and Migraines