Over the years, the question is a headache a sign of pregnancy has been pertinent especially among women. However, it is important to understand that pregnancies do not necessarily translate into headaches. Either way, it is important to understand a few facts about headaches;
- Everyone suffers from headaches at one point of their lives
- Apart from cases of head injury, most headaches are not stubborn and can be treated using home therapy. Actually, most headaches disappear after a few hours. However, it is important to seek medical help if your headache seems to drag on past a day.
- Eye problems are associated with headaches because the minute you strain your eyes, you alter the eye muscle and in turn precipitate glaucoma, which is known to trigger headaches.
- Did you know that most boys experience most headaches before puberty than girls? Interestingly, the situation changes after puberty because most girls tend to suffer from headaches than boys all the way into adult hood.
- Headaches manifest in many forms such as cluster, migraine, tension and sinus. These various forms exhibit different symptoms.
With these few facts in mind, the question is headache a sign of pregnancyis halfway tackled. It is now obvious that headaches should not be cause for alarm, as they tend to disappear after a short while. In some instances however, headaches tend to go on and on for hours and sometimes extend to days and weeks. In such cases, it is always important to seek medical help before the headache escalates into something more serious. Other instances to seek help include:
- Loss of balance
- Seizures and fainting
- Blurred vision and slurred speech
- Numbness and feeling ‘needles’
- Bouts of nausea and vomiting
- Splitting pain that won’t go away
- Stiffness of the neck muscles
- Strange symptoms
Is Headache A Sign Of Pregnancy? Headaches and medication
While tackling the question is a headache a sign of pregnancy, it is first important to understand the different types of medication that are commonly administered to headache victims. Most importantly, it is important to note that different forms of medication have different side effects and adverse reactions to the body. It is therefore important to avoid over dosage and self-prescription as these can prove to be risky and cause complications.
Avoid mixing up different medications and most importantly, stay away from alcohol while under medication. Overdependence can prove to be a risky affair because at some point, your immune system tends to downplay intended effects of pain relievers. Pregnant women are advised to stay away from aspirin as this can cause internal bleeding and miscarriage. Any drastic side effects should be reported to the physician as soon as possible.
Some pain relievers can increase headaches and in such instances, it is important to consult a medical expert who should prescribe an alternative. Recurring headaches, which are also known as rebound headaches come in many and varied forms. In such cases, pain relievers can seem futile and redundant. In some instances, the pain relievers might seem to work for a little while and then wear off after a few hours thus triggering rebound headaches.
In most cases, recurrent headaches may not be answered by the question is a headache a sign of pregnancy because the treatment is standard for both pregnant and not pregnant patients. Normally, this calls for a combined effort that is meant to counter any headache triggers. In some instances, your physician may refer you to the ENT specialists. Some of the most common forms of treatment include:
- Over the counter drugs
- Home remedies such as relaxation and proper diet
- Herbal remedies
- Chiropractic options such as acupuncture and aromatherapy
- Stress management and psychiatric option
- Countering underlying disorders for example tooth decay, stiff neck and sugar levels
Diagnosis and therapy of headaches
To fully address the pertinent question is headache a sign of pregnancy,it is important to understand the diagnosis and therapy of headaches offered by physicians. Pregnant women are bound to receive special treatment in some instances in order to protect both the mother and the fetus. For instance, physicians do not advocate for an MRI and skull scans for pregnant women suffering from headaches. As for other patients however, physicians can suggest various scans to determine the intensity of the headache. In this regard, physicians will first consider a number of factors during headache diagnosis. These factors include:
- Prevalence of the pain
- Amount of pain experienced by the patient
- Recurrent cases and duration
- Noted symptoms
- Nature of the headache
- Foods and factors that trigger the headache
- Medical background of the patient
While addressing the issue, is headache a sign of pregnancy, it is important for patients to seek professional help. With the emergence of various physicians and medical centers all over, it is understandable that patients might get confused on how to settle for the right physician. However, it is important to do your own intensive research. Ask around or seek help from the professional associations in your area. Do not feel shy to ask a physician about their level of qualification and experience. The question is headache a sign of pregnancy can be further addressed by one of these professionals.
Continue reading The Expectant Woman’s Guide to Medicine for Headaches